Thursday, April 30, 2009

A Position Player Takes the Mound

Dad --

While I'm sure you know the unfortunate score of tonight's shut out, what you may not know is who the final pitcher of the evening was.

Javier Lopez came on for the bottom of the 8th and got the first man he faced out. After that he gave up another four runs. The score was now 12-0 with a guy on 2nd. I couldn't take any more and neither, it seemed, could Terry Francona. But Tito also didn't want to go deeper into his bullpen, so the manager did something I don't think I've ever witnessed in my 31 years as a Red Sox fan (let alone a baseball fan).

He brought a position player in to pitch. I didn't even know you could do that. Did you?

Tito pulled Jonathan Van Every from right field and put him on the mound. And since the only player left on the bench was Varitek, Francona had no choice but to put Lopez out in right. The two players just switched positions. And surprisingly it wasn't a horrible call.

Van Every got the first guy he faced to pop out in foul territory. Unfortunately Michel Hernandez then hit a line drive to right center that Javier Lopez couldn't get to and yet another run scored. BJ Upton walked and I was beginning to think Tito had lost his mind.

I mean, Lopez had given up four runs, but at least he's a pitcher. Van Every is an outfielder. Sure he can throw the ball, but can he stay inside the strike zone? Well, that question was answered when Ben Zobrist stepped to the plate and thankfully popped up Van Every's pitch for the final out of the game.

Yes, the whole game was bizarre. But I have to say Tito's choice to put a position player on the mound was the most bizarre move I've ever seen a manager make. Luckily it worked out to the Sox's advantage. (If you can call giving up only one (more) run in a 12-run shut out an advantage.)

And that's what I love about this game: just when you think you've seen it all, something unexpected comes out of right field.

Jenn

No comments: