Thursday, April 23, 2009

Double Your Pleasure

Hey Dad --

Yes, I was quite happy with the way both games turned out. And what was really cool for me was while I have witnessed a double header before (though never live and in person), I have NEVER witnessed a called game. That was pretty cool.

I have to say it was a bummer to miss what could have happened in the bottom of the 7th since we had the bases loaded and only one out, but like you said, I'll take the win. Especially since that gave the Sox a six game winning streak.

The only person who didn't seem happy about the called game was Steve Phillips from ESPN's "Baseball Tonight". Did you hear his rant last night? Since today, Thursday, is an off day for both the Twins and the Sox, Phillips didn't think it was right that the first game be called after seven innings just because they had a double header scheduled. He thought that since the rain ended up leaving the Fens, they should have finished Game 1 and pushed Game 2 to today. Forget the fact that the Sox were leading 10-1 when the umps pulled the tarp onto the field. Forget the fact that as I already mentioned the Sox had the bases loaded with only one out. Forget the fact that Wakefield had pitched seven awesome innings only giving up five hits, one walk and striking out four.

Although I've never seen it before, it's my understanding this is the way the game used to be played: if the rains came and the delay was going to be longer than an hour or two and five innings had been played, the game was official and whoever was leading was the winner. Why should yesterday be any different just because both teams had a day off today? It makes no sense and I completely disagree with Mr. Phillips. And yes, I'd feel exactly the same way if the Twins had come out on top. Okay, I'm done with my rant.

All in all yesterday was a very good day for Sox baseball and Dad, you and I aren't the only people happy with the turnout. I bet Terry Francona was as well. The manager got what I'm sure most baseball managers want: a win win for his 50th birthday. Not a bad way to celebrate the big 5-0, don't you think?

XO

Jenn

No comments: