Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Sox May Take First Two but Papi's Being Booed

Dad --

Yes, it was upsetting to see the Sox give up another four runs in the top of the 9th on Monday, but at least we had such a big lead, there really wasn't anything to worry about.

As for last night's game, it was tied at one 'til the 8th inning when we got another four runs which was enough to give us our second win in as many days.

But these two wins are not why I'm writing today. Although I'm thrilled we've now won two in a row against the Angels, I'm writing about something else. I'm writing about a worrisome trend that has started at the Fens. A trend I'm not too keen on and one I hope doesn't continue. That trend - the constant booing of Big Papi.

Now I know he hasn't been hitting well. I know his batting average is below .200. And I know last night's zero hits knocked him down to .149. But does that mean our clutch man should be booed every time he steps to Fenway's plate? Yes, he's struggling, but this is the guy who so many times has been our walkoff hitter. He even has a special award for being the guy to count on in a clutch.

I'll admit I'm not happy. And I think Francona switching him out for Lowell against left-handed pitchers is the right move. But that doesn't mean we should just write off one of our great players, does it?

Look, the fact of the matter is, Papi just hasn't been right since his injury two years ago. Maybe he's worried about hurting himself again. Maybe the injury never healed correctly in the first place. Whatever the reason behind this slump, it's no reason to start dismissing one of Red Sox legends. Give the guy a break. At least he's gotten a few home runs - three to be exact. This time last year, he still had yet to get even one out of the park.

Yes, I'm not happy about the turn of events where Papi is concerned. And yes, I'll be sorry to see him go when and if he must. But as long as he's still wearing a Red Sox uniform, I'll still be cheering for him. He was great and in my book, he still is.

Jenn

No comments: