Monday, May 3, 2010

About That O's Sweep: Peter

Well, Jenn, I can't say much more than you did about this recent lost weekend. It was great to celebrate Aidan's 1st B-day and Gary's 40th, but, where the Sox are concerned, I suppose that if I were Elizabeth Barrett Browning, I could count the ways that I could describe how terrible it was, but I'm not and you've pretty well covered things. Re: Wake, I would never even suggest in jest that he's taking his vengeance on the team for the shift. He's spent his career in both the pen and the rotation and he's a team guy, so it's just a bad outing.The knuckler obviously wasn't tumbling and floating enough--happens. Even a knuckle pitcher can't explain why the ball does what it does and when. As far as Dice, he did have a good four innings (one hit), so maybe he can build on this. Time will tell.
One thing that drove me crazy yesterday, beside Pap's error that set up the winning run, was the way the Sox had a perfect opportunity to get out of the two run inning that tied the game for the O's unscathed, but Beltre, for reasons I can't even begin to guess, didn't go home with the DP grounder. Even if he only gets one, the Sox still have the lead and no runs have scored to that point. Again, there may be many reasons, but I'm not E.B.Browning, and none of them will suffice anyway, as you ALWAYS go home in those situations.
On the good side, tonite's opener against the Angels at Fenway is in the top of the 9th and the Sox have a narrow lead--17-4, and, no, that's not a misprint. They also have 20 hits. Bucky looked pretty good until the 6th, but the pen has been sterling!I know the game is not yet over, but I think it's pretty safe to count the W in this case. Oh, wait--this is the Red Sox. Still....

No comments: