Wednesday, May 26, 2010

All About the Players

Dad --

I know I've been M.I.A. for a few weeks, but between Aidan and trying to watch the games, it's been tough finding a spare moment to blog. That, and in all honesty, with the way the Sox have been playing, I really haven't wanted to blog - I've been too depressed. But that's all over now. In the past week or so, I feel like I'm watching a whole new team.

Papi - I have to admit for the month of April, I was really starting to worry that we'd lost Big Papi. He just wasn't the man he used to be. It was clear to me that the wrist injury he suffered in '08 had left him scarred, never to hit home runs again. But then May came along - and whatever wasn't working, is now working over time. His batting average so far for the month of May is .359 and he's hit eight home runs. Eight! Just in the month of May. I know there's a lot of season left, but I'm pretty confident in saying the man is back!

Youkilis - He's also back with a vengence. In the last 12 games he has a batting average of .361, he's gotten 13 hits, five of which have been home runs and 12 of which have been RBI's. According to Jerry Remy on Monday, he could be the MVP of the team right now, and with these numbers I tend to agree.

Then there's the pitching. Before Monday all the starting pitchers in the four previous starts went eight or nine innings. That's great. It means our pitchers are back and our bullpen has gotten a break.

All in all, I'd say this is exactly what the Red Sox needed - a resurgence. It's good to see both the defense and the offense working again. Now if the Yankees could start losing some games, we'll really be in it.

Jenn

No comments: