Monday, April 19, 2010

Win Streak Comes to an End

Dad --

I'm sure you're confused by my title since the Red Sox have lost the past six games including this morning's Patriot's Day game. Well, the win streak I'm referring to is from the past six years.

The Sox have been playing games on Patriot's Day at home in the Fens since 1959. And 26 of those were double headers. The double headers may be gone, but the winning at home is still around. At least it was until today.

Since 2004 the Sox have won each and every Patriot's Day game they've played. They scored an average of 8 runs per game and rarely allowed more than four. So, I figured with that kind of record and John Lackey on the mound who's 9-2 against the Rays, the Sox actually had a chance. But as you know, these are the Red Sox and as a life-long fan I should know by now not to count on anything.

Aidan, Gary and I made our traditional trip to Fenners for the 8 am start. Yes, it was early to be at the bar, but that's okay since Aidan's up around 6. We settled in and watched the nightmare begin.

The Rays took advantage of Lackey early, getting nine hits off the pitcher and scoring eight times. So, with Lackey gone after 3.1 innings and Aidan's nap time around the corner, we decided to call it a day.

I did manage to catch the rest of the game at home. And while we scored twice thanks to a homer by Hermida, it wasn't enough to continue the Patriot's Day streak. So as my title suggests, that great streak unfortunately came to a close.

I guess it's time to look ahead. Tomorrow's a new day and that means a new team - Texas. The Sox will face the Rangers in Fenway and hopefully start a new streak - one that includes a W.

Jenn

No comments: