Friday, August 7, 2009

What's Going On with Our Pitching?

Dad --

After the fiasco that was the 2 game series against the Rays, I thought we head into the Bronx and continue doing what we've been doing all season - kick the Yankees butts. But then I realized John Smoltz was starting.

To quote several twitters I follow - I'm soooooooooooooo done with the John Smoltz experiment. He said it'd probably take him 5 games to find his footing. Well, it's been seven.

I don't know what it is with our starters. They can get through 3 innings then somewhere around inning 4 or 5 they starting giving up the hits and/or the home runs.

Yesterday it was inning 4. And to Smoltzie's benefit, it wasn't all him. Yes, he started the damage by giving up 9 hits and 8 runs over his 3.1 innings. But this new kid - Billy Traber - (who they just called up from Pawtucket and was a Yankee last year) followed by allowing another 9 hits and 5 runs over his 3.2 innings. Maybe he forgot which team he was playing for.

I can't believe this is the guy they replaced Masterson with. I mean at least Masterson would get through an inning or two before things went south. Traber couldn't even finish off the fourth without giving up another homer (the second of the inning) to Posada with 2 men on. It was sad. Very, VERY sad!

And that's when I quit watching. I fast forwarded through the rest of the game because I couldn't take it anymore. It seems these days, the Sox can't get a run without giving up 2 or 3 more to the other team. It's pathetic.

Today's game 2 against the Evil Empire, but this time Beckett's on the mound, so hopefully we can save face and win! Just three more games before the Sox head back to the Fens. And they better win all three, otherwise they'll be below .500 for this road trip and we can't have that.

Jenn

No comments: