Friday, August 28, 2009

Taz Picks Up Where Penny Left Off

Dad --

Could you explain something to me? Why is it every time it looks like the Sox have a great prospect and "the Nation" gets its hopes up, that prospect falls flat? It's annoying. Especially when we're so close to the post season.

After taking the first three from Chicago (the third in classic Red Sox style with a walk off by our favorite DH, Big Papi) our newest starter, Junichi Tazawa, took the mound the day after Penny asked, and was granted his release. I was thrilled - one less bad starting pitcher to worry about. Unfortunately, Tazawa evidently felt he needed to pick up where Penny left off and gave up nine runs in just four innings. While Tazawa had lost in two previous outings, this is the first time he's given up that many runs. It was painful to watch.

So painful in fact that I had to speed watch the rest of the game. I really only watched when our side got up to bat. I started to regain hope when the Sox got two runs in the 8th and another in the 9th, but the hole our guys had dug by that point was too deep to get out of.

So we lost the fianl game of the series 9-5. And since the Yankees lost to the Rangers yesterday, that means we're still six back in the division and now Texas is only a game and a half behind the Sox in the Wild Card.

Tonight we face the Blue Jays and after sweeping them at the Rogers Centre, I hope the Sox can keep that momentum going. I'm not too worried though since the Tampa Bay Rays just took two out of three from them earlier this week. Then again, Beckett's on the mound tonight, and after his last two outings, I'm not as comfortable as I'd like. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Jenn

No comments: