Thursday, July 23, 2009

Manny Rant

Dad -

Not only did we lose the first two games against the Rangers, we also lost last night, which means we lost the series. And since we're on a losing streak, I'm going take a break from the Red Sox to talk about a former Sock - Manny Ramirez.

As you know, Manny was traded to the Dodgers last year in the middle of the season and since then he's been crushing the ball on a regular basis to a place called Mannywood. While it sucks that he's hitting homers, I don't miss the left fielder because his attitude the last few seasons in Boston were awful. Manny can be Manny on the west coast and normally it doesn't phase me. But yesterday's homer is another story.

I guess it was Manny Ramirez Bobblehead night at Dodger Stadium, and Manny wasn't in the lineup due to a bruised hand. The Dodgers were playing Cincinnati. It was the sixth inning with the game tied at 2 when Joe Torre gave the nod to Manny to pinch hit. And on a 2-2 pitch the left fielder hit a grand slam to "Mannywood" to win the game.

Now I'm a big fan of nail biters. I've always said that what makes baseball so interesting for me is that the game comes down to a pitch. One pitch could be a home run to win or a strike out to lose and that still holds true.

But what upsets me about this grand slam that had not one, not two, but four different LA radio stations talking this morning, was that it happened in the 6th inning. The 6th! So the home team still had another three innings to score at least one run and beat the Reds. Who brings in a pinch hitter in the 6th? The ninth, I get, even the 8th. But the 6th? Give me a break!

I didn't realize baseball had become a six inning sport, Dad, did you? But then again with the economy the way it is, maybe America's National past time has to save money. So, as I said, I have no problem with a pinch hit grand slam, even one hit by Manny. But a pinch hit grand slam should only get national air time when it's a walk off or achieved during extra innings.

Okay, now that that's off my chest, I now return this blog back to its regularly scheduled Red Soxness.

Jenn

No comments: