Thursday, July 30, 2009

A Game Closer & Papi--Peter

Well, Jenn, as I suggested in my comment on your post of yesterday, the Sox could be 2.5 games out going into today's game if they'd not thrown away Tuesday's game. And now they are! They pulled a comeback that any Sox fan would be proud of today. After Lester gave up the lead in one rough inning, leaving the Hose behind 4-1, the Fenmen fought back, finally taking back the lead on Papi's 14th roundtripper of the season (more on Papi in a bit), and put it away with another pair in the 8th. Some of the team appears to have found their bats again, with Lowell really steaming and Ellsbury and Pedroia hovering around the .300 mark again. JD's staring to hit in the last few games too. Anyway, after TOM held on to the lead, Pap slammed the door and we had something for the Stripes to ponder on the scoreboard as they awaited their game tonight. Finally, completing a good Sox day, Mr. Hankie's Yankees lost on a walkoff single to the Chisox. I was getting a bit nervous, Jenn, on turning on the Chitown game to find those Sox up 2-1 in the top of the 9th with two outs and I'm hoping we'll pick up a game. Just in time for Swisher to tie the game with a shot of his own, and I'm thinking, "not now--not again!" Never fear, bottom of the 9th, the first two Chisox hitters get hits and then after a couple of outs, a pinch hitter settles the issue with a solid hit sending home the winner. Yes, Bosox close to 2.5 games! I can tell you, Jenn, I'd like them a game or three in front of the Stripes before the next series with them starts. I'd feel a lot more comfortable. I mean, think about it--eight straight is fabulous, but realistically, it can't last forever. Need to get some insurance.

Say hi to my grandson, the newest Sox fan.
Dad

No comments: