Sunday, October 11, 2009

The Ultimate Blown Save

Well Dad, as the song goes... "the party's over..."

Not that this post season has been much of a party. Today's game was beyond depressing. I mean, we were at Fenway. Buchholz pitched a pretty 5+ innings and had his eye not only on his first start in the post season, but his first win. And then Papelbon took the mound.

This is the guy who I had a shirt made for a couple years ago - "Papelbon Saves". Not today! And I suppose it's no surprise, since this season has not been a good one for the closer. He walked more guys this season than in the past and every time he took the mound I, and a lot of Red Sox Nation, had heart palpitations.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but this season I'm used to Paps giving up a run or two, but then hunkering down and closing out the game for the win. Today Paps wasn't so lucky. All he needed was four outs. That's all. And unfortunately he couldn't get them. It was sad to watch, but even worse, it was painful to hear.

I don't think I've ever heard Fenway so quiet. The Nation's faithful were shocked by the turn of events. You could hear a pin drop in the stadium when Fuentes got the final out of the ninth signaling the end of the Red Sox's season.

Dad, you're right. It's time for Theo to take a good, hard look at his team, and make some tough cuts for next year. I agree Tek and Lowell should be on that list. But I'm not ready to lose Papi just yet.

On the bright side, Aidan got to a game and as I said last night, at least now I can focus all my attention on the Patriots and what will hopefully be a winning NFL season.

Jenn

No comments: