Friday, June 26, 2009

Disappointing Outing

Hi Dad -

Well, unfortunately Smoltz's first outing wasn't as great as we thought it would be. He only lasted five innings and gave up four runs in the first. While he settled down over the next four innings, giving up only 7 hits, the damage was already done.

It was his first outing with the Sox so maybe he was nervous. It was also his first start since undergoing shoulder surgery. So maybe that has something to do with it. I don't have a definitive answer, and right now those are the only reasons I can come up with for his poor showing. I hope I'm right. Guess, we'll just have to wait a few days to find out.

But this is just my opinion. According to an article in the Providence Journal Smoltz walked off the mound with a smile on his face and said "This is bigger than one start. I can't be disappointed."

So I guess if Smoltz isn't disappointed, I shouldn't be either. Dad, what do you think?

Jenn

No comments: