Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Wait, What was the Final Score?! -- Jenn

In case you missed last night's game, it was a roller coaster. Dad was so sure we'd won, he actually called me at the end of the first inning. Now, as I've mentioned before in this blog, I TIVO the games, which means if you know what's going on, DO NOT, under any circumstances, tell me. I'll see the game eventually and I don't want to know. But sometimes Dad can't help himself and he ruins it for me.

So, yesterday he called all excited. "I know you don't want to know, but I have to tell you," he said
"Fine, tell me."
"We're up 10-zip and it's only the first inning."
Well, it was only the first inning and these are the Red Sox after all. Needless to say 10-zip wasn't the final score. Dad... maybe next time you should wait to call me with the good news until after the game's over.

Yes, the Red Sox scored 10 runs in the first inning. And yes, six of them came from Big Papi hitting to deep right and center field respectively. But as Dad said, things went south in the 5th when the Rangers sent 10 men to the plate and scored eight times bringing the Texas team within two. And it wasn't just the fault of the Sox bullpen. The umpires were just as much to blame. Last night's game is a perfect example of why instant replay should be allowed in baseball. The number of miscalls were amazing.

Those eight runs the Rangers scored in the 5th? Who knows if all eight would have happened had the umps counted Laird's double off the wall as the fly out to center it actually was. See, Coco Crisp caught the ball only to drop it on the transfer. That's right, he caught the ball. Squarely in his glove. And upon looking back at the instant replay you can clearly see it. But the umps ruled it a missed catch, Laird ended up on 2nd base and Zink was removed from the game with no chance of recording the win. I didn't realize, though, that last night's roller coaster of runs would also cut short Zink's time in the bigs.

But back to the game and another miscue. So, Papi was first up in the bottom of the 5th and he crushed yet another ball to straight away center field. But instead of this being called a home run (which would've marked three for the DH), the umps called fan interference and what should've been a solo shot was instead ruled a double. And of course, if you look at the instant replay, it seems pretty clear that ball would've bounced off the top of the wall into the seats. Luckily it didn't matter, because Youk stepped up and crushed his 2-2 pitch to straight away center field and trust me, there would be no question about this home run.

Course this excitement was short lived because the Rangers would score another five runs in the top of the 6th and take the lead. I was so frustrated, I was on the verge of throwing my remote at the TV. But after being talked down by my hubby, I decided it was safer to just fast forward through the next two innings.

And am I happy I did. See, if I had ruined our TV, I wouldn't have seen the awesome three-run shot that Youk launched over the green monster for runs 17,18, and 19. You read that right, 19 runs. And it's a good thing Youk got his 2nd homer of the night. Without it, the Rangers probably would have won the game. As Dad said, Papelbon gave up an unearned run in the 9th to give Rangers their 17th run of the evening. But the Sox still had two more, and luckily that was all they'd need.

In case you haven't been keeping track, the Rangers 17 runs coupled with our 19, made for a total of 36, and one hell of a ball game. One that I really don't want to repeat any time soon. Here's hoping Lester can bring the heat and keep the Rangers' score a nice low zero.

No comments: